~~~ delicious, malicious, and not at all nutritious ~~~

The Printed Blog

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Meet the pupusa, the Salvadoran hot pocket! & other tales from LA la land





Today marks the ten day anniversary of my stay in Los Angeles...and for lack of a more original phrase, 'what a long strange trip it's been'. In addition to working my ass off for my new job at BestNewBands.com, I've been exploring the city and my neighborhood and taking in as much local color as possible, something that this city is overflowing with. Here are just a few irreverent (and mostly irrelevant) observations about my new home that have really made an impression or just made me chuckle:

Judging from the latest ubiquitous hipster fad, there are a lot of tail-less foxes running around the outskirts of Los Angeles.

Dogs have obtained the same status as children, both in sheer numbers and the crazy ways that their owners adorn them.

There are pupuserias on every corner, always with a line out the door. What is a pupuseria you might ask? A place where you buy a pupusa, of course ( a kind of Salvadoran hot pocket).

Everyone here is an equal opportunity partier. Saturday night, Tuesday afternoon, it's all good. Any and all of the time, with a fervor and dedication that rivals Mardi Gras-goers. On Saturday I went to Sunset Junction, a street fair hosting local artists, vendors, and 5 stages with all kinds of bands. I was standing on the street, enjoying a nice warm beer when two girls began to scuffle next to me, obviously inebriated. One girl eventually yanked up the other girl's dress, much to my surprise and an incredible lack of surprise from my fellow fair-goers. She apparently exposed a lot more than she had been prepared to share with the crowd, judging from her lack of undergarments.

American Apparel is certainly not going out of business in Silver Lake anytime soon. There are enough mesh tank tops in the window display to make Lt. Jim Dangle blush.

Everyone loves what could be called 'new wave candy kids glam' which is exactly as flashy and semi-interesting as it sounds. See video below for further details:


No comments:

Post a Comment