~~~ delicious, malicious, and not at all nutritious ~~~

The Printed Blog

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

When Choosing (s)Insurance, Let Your Inner Child Be Your Guide


I'm not ashamed to admit that I chose my car insurance based on their mascot. And no, it wasn't the Geico gecko. Give me a little credit. It was the adorable, spunky, pink-haired superhero chick from esurance-- Erin Esurance just seems trustworthy, you know? She even has her own virtual world that you can explore on the esurance site.


When I moved to Los Angeles, I had no idea how much work it would be to update my auto insurance. My skimpy, $96/month policy from Progressive wasn't going to cut it, so I canceled and started shopping around (Besides, their spokesperson is a real-live person named Flo with a face and a too-peppy voice that only a mother could love).
 If you want to experience one of the possible scenarios one might suffer through in hell, then you should spend an afternoon online getting insurance quotes.  I went to Insurance.com, a website that claimed (har) to ask only 'one set of questions' to compare quotes from 12 major companies, in order to 'save you time and money' by not having to answer each individual company's queries. Well, they lied. They showed me the top two quotes: one from one company I knew and another that sounded borderline legitimate at best. Then, they gave me 'helpful' links to other companies' websites where I would then have to guess what?  RE-ENTER ALL OF THE INFORMATION I JUST SPENT 20 MINUTES ENTERING. But hey, at least it's all easy stuff that everyone already knows the answer to right away. Like your vehicle identification number, the deductible amount from your last insurance policy, the exact dates of all of your traffic violations within the last 5 years. Boy was that a fun time speeding down memory lane. But I got it sorted out after many hair-pulls and heavy sighs, and as a reward I got a policy confirmation email from Erin Esurance herself! I feel so privileged;  Flo never sent me emails.

No comments:

Post a Comment